Friday, 18 November 2016

20 Things I've Learnt at 20

At the end of October I turned 20 and I still have to keep telling myself that I'm not a teenager anymore. It feels so odd. I feel like 20 is an awkward age in-between your teens and turning 21 (proper adult!) and I want to make the most of it. I am definitely still unsure of myself and what I want to do with myself, but I do also think that in my 20 years I have picked up a few good pieces of advise. So, this post is to share that!



1. Growing up and going through fall outs / troubles with friends, my Grandma would always tell me to find the good in everyone. That is great and often it does help you to overcome things, but I have learnt that that definitely does not mean that you should ignore the negatives if they are too much. If somebodies negatives involve bringing you down / making you feel like you matter any less than they do, its okay to let go of that person.

2. Sometimes you will do things because you think other people will be proud of you, but focus on the things that will make you proud of yourself. I still struggle with this one but I know that it is so important. You can only make other people happy if you are happy with yourself.

3. The point that you are at at 20 years old does not define the rest of your life. Your part time job is not what you will be doing forever. Everything can change so much in a week, let alone a year.

4. If you say 'I'll do it tomorrow' because you are just too lazy, it probably wont get done at all. Do it now and be lazy later.

5. It's okay and important to have 'you time', even if you need more 'you time' than other people around you. Take as much as you need.

6. Put your personal happiness and mental health first, always. Over everything.

7. There is no point dwelling and holding grudges, especially with family. Move on. Tell people you love them every day.

8. If you feel passionate about something you should try and include a bit of it into every day.

9. Try to complete one act of kindness every day, even if it's as little as waiting to hold a door for someone.

10. "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"

11. Even when things feel impossible and anxious thoughts feel like they will never go away; the things that you are worried about now will probably be completely irrelevant in a months time. It'll all be okay.

12. If art / creativity makes you happy, don't stop. Make things every single day and constantly improve your skills. Even when you don't feel up to it, do something different, try a new technique.

13. If you make plans and then feel like you really can't keep them, that's okay. Don't force yourself into something that makes you feel anxious just to please somebody else. Take your time!

14. Bad days happen, but you always get through them. This one won't be any different.

15. Disney movies make the best background movies for coursework. Especially if you've seen them 100's of times before!

16. Don't say maybe if you really want to say no.

17. Remember that you never really know what people are going through and they never know what you are going through. Don't judge.

18. "Be the person your dog thinks you are"

19. READ! It took me a long time to get into reading, I hated it when I was younger because I struggled so much with it, but actually if you make yourself learn it is such a wonderful escape for when life gets a little bit too much.

20. You don't only have to listen to one type of music. This might sound obvious to some people, but music came with so many stereotypes in school; but actually, just listen to anything and everything that makes you feel good.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post, I loved reading it! Loved the ''be the person your dog thinks you are'' so cute and true. Also, happy belated birthday, hope you've had an amazing time xx

    www.mylifeasmarinaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an inspirational young lady. Love this post, ❤

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS